First a summary of what is out there:
- Groupon is probably one of the pioneers of this industry, having launched the service in 2008. Today it is available in a hundred markets and have 35 million registered subscribers.
- Living Social is a similar company based in Washington and has close ties with Amazon.
- Google Offer was recently launched and is growing into new regions on the Google brand.
- Of course there are many-many more similar examples. Companies with names like LevelUp, Scoutmob, zozi, etc.
- It strikes me that the process of offer, accept and pay will change. This may require a new way to pay.
- Many existing payment features (like refunds, discounts, fees and commissions), may not be suitable for this world. Payment schemes offering more suitable features will work better.
- The existing payment domain (so called four party model), may not map onto this world, with much more intermediaries that will participate in the payment process.