So now that the phones are available, we should start seeing more deployments, and less trails and pilots, or will we?
I thought I should look at some of the predictions that experts and specialists are making of NFC. What follows is a random selection of predictions (With the date when the prediction was made):
- Aug 2006 Technology Review published by MIT predicts that 50% of new phones shipped in 2011 will be NFC enabled
- Sept 2006 ABI research predicts that 450 million new phones in 2011 will be NFC enabled. This represents about 30% of the phones to be shipped in that year.
- Nov 2008 The GSMA predicts first commercial deployments during latter part of 2009
- Feb 2009 Informa's prediction is that 10% of phones will by NFC enabled by 2013
- Sept 2009 Junper predict that the NFC market will be $30 billion by 2012 (In the same report the prediction for MMMT is $200 billion)
- Oct 2009 Venyon CEO predicts the first mainstream production deployments in 2010